Sunday 9 June 2013

Woman seeks to reconvert her children to Hinduism
Saturday, 08 June 2013:An Indian hair salon owner seeks to reconvert her two children into Hindu after they were converted into Islam by her Muslim-convert husband.

S. Deepa, 29, claimed she has been separated from her husband N. Viran, 30, a lorry driver, for more than a year after he was released from jail and later converted to Islam.

"On April 4 this year, he took both our children, Mithran, 5, and Sharmila, 8, from the kindergarten in Jelebu without my knowledge.

"Later on the same day I went to the Pusat Dakwah Islamiah Paroi to get confirmation letter on my husband conversion to Islam for our ongoing divorce case and saw both our children with their father there.

"I then got into an argument with my husband there as he showed papers that said both our children has converted into Islam without my knowledge, with Mithran name now as Nabil and Sharmila as Nur Nabila.

"Later a person by the name Ustaz Zul spoke to us and I voiced my objection and he told me that he had converted both my children as I was being unfaithful to my husband and not fit to take care of them," said Deepa at her lawyer's office in Taman AST here today.

Deepa said Ustaz Zul later said that she can fill up a form to reconvert her children the next day.

"But when I went there, he said the case is now with the Syariah Court and asked me to refer to the court.

"So what I want is for the Pusat Dakwah Islamiah Paroi to cancel the conversion of my children as I did not consent for it and they are also a minor," she said.

Deepa said so far only the letter shown to her by the Pusat Dakwah Islamiah Paroi has mentioned them as being converted, but she has yet to check their religion status with the National Registration Department.

She had also filed a police report on April 4 this year on action by her husband to convert their children without her knowledge and consent.

Deepa said they were married for 9 years and her husband was jailed for four months last year for involvement in a pirated DVD syndicate.

"Since our separation he stays in another house but also in Jelebu. Both our children stays with me," she said.

- New Straits Times